Pages

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Warm Japanese Quinoa Salad - recipe, vegan, vegetarian, macrobiotic, paleo, healthy diet

It's day 3 of having a cold.  Yep, I still get them now and again.  The change in weather, a work fiasco, getting myself worked up run down over several things, and voila, I started to feel crummier than all of the situations I was dealing with combined.  Yet, not sick enough to forgo meals and take to napping.  I've tried several remedies for this cold, but so far, it seems to just need to take its course.

What felt fantastic was the lunch I made today with the little bits of things I had left in the fridge.   Here I've married South American quinoa, with a Japanese inspired theme, to create a hot salad that felt like the eating equivalent of a warm shower.  I paired it with a garlic carrot soup seasoned with white miso, and I immediately felt better.  With chilly weather just ahead, I imagine doing this recipe again soon.

Warm Japanese Quinoa Salad

For each person:
1/4 Cup quinoa, sorted and rinsed
1 Cup water
small pinch of sea salt
1 tsp. mirin
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
(You might wish for a little red pepper flakes, or other spice, to jazz it up further.)
1 block savory backed tofu, cut into cubes(mine came from Trader Joe's) *alternatively, use chicken or beans...
4-5 romaine lettuce leaves, washed, trimmed, and sliced
1/2 sheet toasted nori, cut into strips

Bring the quinoa and water to a boil and add the salt, mirin, tofu and romaine.  Turn the heat to low and cover with a lid.  Simmer for 20 minutes or until all of the liquid is absorbed.  Top with the nori and a drizzle of flax oil before serving. (You could also add a dressing of your choice...)

No comments: