Pages

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Cherry Sorghum Pilaf - vegan, vegetarian, flexitarian, gluten free recipe

Please do not tell Sorghum - I'm not finding him my favorite grain.  I bought a whole bag of sorghum thinking I would probably love it as much as I love brown rice, millet, quinoa, teff and all of the grains you have known me to talk about.  I didn't love sorghum.  Sorghum is gluten free, and I recently tried it with a salmon recipe that I enjoyed, but I've been remiss finding more ways to cook it that go well with its chewiness, and distinct flavor.

Recently, I saw a recipe in the New York Times using whole grain and cherries.  I had never thought of pairing up cherries with a savory dish, but I gave it a whirl.  The sweet cherries, touch of green onion and thyme are just what sorghum needs to be more fun to eat.  I used broth, but water would work just as well.  In the original recipe they cooked the cherries and grain separately and put them together later.  As some of you know, I've been living with one burner and no stove.  Two steps seemed silly.  Here's my fast and easy version of this pilaf.

1 Cup Sorghum, rinsed and soaked overnight
2 Cups water or broth
pinch of sea salt (if your broth is salty, skip the sea salt
1 cup cherries - pitted
1 pinch thyme
1 green onion, chopped
splash of balsamic vinegar
earth balance or flax oil to taste

Drain the soaking sorghum and place in a pot with the 2 Cups water or broth.  Bring to a boil, add a pinch of sea salt (if using), turn the heat to low and place a lid on the pot. Cook for 45 minutes or until tender.  Add the rest of the ingredients and stir.  If using flax oil instead of earth balance - you can add it when serving. 

*Note - if using store bought broth, be careful of it being overly salty.  You can always use part water and part broth if it is. 

No comments: