Pages

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Snack Suspension





My life has felt suspended the last couple of days doing jury duty.  It was an interesting experience.  They treated us well and the days still felt wearing. (Especially during some emotional questioning.) Somehow though I still got a lot done.  I appreciated the long lunches we had, so I could run home and make a meal, with plenty of time to get a few things accomplished.  Although I didn't blog, I was thinking about the huge difference food makes, and I was able to keep working right up until bedtime.

I didn't need snacks to get through the day.  often my snacks are no longer a need to stabilize my blood sugar like they used to be.  They are a treat that I've incorporated from those years of needing to support my pancreas, to not have low blood sugar moments.  They are also an avoidance tactic, postponing something that I don't want to do.

I love writing, but when you write, you also face emotions that you might like to leave stuffed down.  Recently I noticed how much I kept hopping up and down from my desk while writing a particularly charged piece.  (Stay tuned - it was bought and will be published soon.) I look in the fridge, sometimes I snack on a little something, or realize I'm really thirsty (remember that many times people misinterpret their thirst for hunger...), or don't need fuel at all.  That's most of the time.  I never miss a meal, so snacks are superfluous.

Sitting in jury duty waiting to be called, without the thrill of getting somewhere like when waiting for a train or a plane, it was surprising that snacks didn't interest me.  We were not allowed to eat in the waiting area, but it would have been fine in the lounge, or the hall, or to take a break outside. (You were allowed to sign out and take a break if you wanted one.)  I wonder how much of snacking is simply conditioning.  You might see someone else eating something, or a particular trigger in your workday gets you, and wanting to feel better -  you envision or get a snack that you enjoy.

When I went to Bali, I liked how in the late afternoon I would see a group of workers hack down a jackfruit and share it between them.  Their snacking was social as well as giving them a break.  It was also a healthy way to have a pick-me-up during that low barometric pressure time of the day.

Yesterday I was released a bit early and I walked back home through Wall street, seeing office workers in suits and ties, high heels and skirts, all running to or from the ice cream truck that had parked nearby.  One woman's tall soft serve cone was like a torch that she carried out in front of her back to a desk that she appeared to have escaped from.  The food might have been a reward or entertainment, but it certainly wasn't going to be a lasting infusion of energy.

Suspending snacks might be a great way to let go of overeating all together.  There is a prevailing notion that eating more often is a better way to eat, but from what I've seen, it is more of an excuse to overeat.  Most of us are not training to be fitness stars.  We don't live in Bali. If you need to heal an overtaxed pancreas - make a sweet vegetable drink - get coached on what to eat - and learn to wean off the constant need to nosh - because suspending snacks and having supportive meals at mealtime instead - can help you stand strong, no matter what comes up in your life. 

www.everydaymacro.com

No comments: