Pages

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Strawberry Rice - gluten free, vegan, vegetarian, macrobiotic, breakfast recipe

I generally like a little fruit with my breakfast.  Quinoa with apples and cinnamon, millet with vanilla and pears, rye and raspberries, I'm continually mixing it up.  Since I moved to New York City though, strawberries have proved to be disappointing.  They've mostly been sour berries that ship well, look pretty, but leave me wishing I'd spent the money on something else.

It's spring - strawberry season - and when I went to pick up a few items this weekend, the strawberries were on sale.  They looked dark and inviting, so I took a chance, and bought some.  While not the same as the days when I went to the Santa Monica farmer's market and had tastes from every vendor, before deciding on which perfect berries to buy - these have good strawberry flavor and are slightly sweet.

Yesterday I made a couple of cups of brown rice to last for a few days worth of meals. (faster than take-out - sign up for a session if you want the tricks to homemade food that is a snap to prepare. www.everydaymacro.com)

This morning I took a large cup of that cooked rice and put it in a pot with a cup of water, and 3 large strawberries cut up.  I simmered it without a lid for about 10 minutes, until it was a thick, creamy, hot cereal that smelled divine.  Because it is also allergy season, I added 1/2 tsp. cinnamon and some raw honey after I took it off the heat (instant relief for my runny nose).   I used one more strawberry as garnish.

All I can say is "wow."  It was so good, I almost want to repeat it for dessert.  Add a touch of vanilla and you have a rice pudding that would be good hot or cold, but I think I'll reserve mine for breakfast right now.

Want more tips, tricks, and slender living secrets?  Head on over to www.everydaymacro.com and sign up for a session today!  (The session special will disappear soon, so be sure and grab as many as you want at the current low price.... if you have worked with me at any time you get the follow up rate.)

www.everydaymacro.com

No comments: