Pages

Friday, September 27, 2013

When Eating In is Better than Out - Fast and Easy Healthy Recipe - vegan, macrobiotic, vegetarian, flexitarian, tempeh

I love having a fun new experience, and when that experience and when that includes something delicious,  it's twice as fun.  The problem with eating out is often it can be disappointing.  Especially for those with food restrictions. 

Eating at home is not just cheaper, you control what goes into the food so it's usually far better for you than what you will find in even the so called "healthy" establishments.  They cut corners, get deals, or just won't care about health like you do.

One thing restaurants and menus can be is inspiring.

Today I was looking at where I could go for lunch.  A raw restaurant caught my attention but the raw cuisine never agrees with me.  I did get inspired to use what I had in my fridge to make something I really wanted to try.  It worked wonderfully well - so here's the inspiration for the day.  If you don't want to use Tempeh for your salad - use what ever protein source makes you happy.  (For me Barry's Tempeh is worth the extra cost. Try it and you'll see the difference.)

Simple Healthy Vegan SayYeser Salad

Roast the tempeh in a little coconut oil and a sprinkle of sea salt.  (I use a coconut oil from Jarrow that has no taste or smell - Thank you Jarrow!)

Combine your salad ingredients in a bowl.  Here I've used:
Romaine Lettuce
Carrots
Celery
Avocado
Roasted Tempeh
Nori (optional - I added it later)

For the dressing combine Veganaise from Follow Your Heart with lemon juice.  You could add a small amount of honey if you wish but I liked the tangy creamy taste and texture of the combination by itself. 

It took about ten minutes to prepare and the entire meal, including a side of Jobs tears barley and tea was about $5.  If I had ordered it out it would have taken at least 1/2 hour to get to the restaurant not to mention time to order and wait and I would have spent around $15-$20 before tip and most likely not had all fresh organic ingredients with no additives or GMO's that potentially could make me feel bad and cost more in over the counter pills. 

Now I do love eating out too - and make it a point of exploring restaurant fare at least once a week to give myself a break from cooking - but since so many folks I meet stumble with how to make food fast, simple and enjoyable - here's an example.  Try something and see how it works out.

www.everydaymacro.com

No comments: