Pages

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Single Gourmet made Simple - macrobiotic, vegan, vegetarian, flexitarian, recipe

 Ikea always has surprises.  Recently I went for a new pillow and the fun ferry ride over there (From Wall street to Red Hook - try it on the weekend when it's free...)  What I did discover?  A set of mini pyrex dishes perfect for my toaster oven.


Currently where I'm staying there is no oven so my tiny toaster is it. The toaster oven baking accessories didn't fit in the model I purchased but Ikea's pyrex did!

So for my first in a series of Fast and Easy gourmet items - I looked in my fridge.  A half of a stalk of broccoli, one onion and a very small zucchini were all I had to work with.  Voila - fritatta or mini quiche or something like that.  Being lazy today, I decided to forgo making a crust so call it a crustless quiche or a baked fritatta.

I don't use dairy so I had some soy milk.  If you use an egg then 2 Tablespoons of the milk whisked with your egg are all you need, if you use flax seed that you are grinding up in a blender as an egg then use a tad more milk and if you want to use tofu with a little white miso in it then you don't need milk.  Just blend.  Choose your egg/milk combo, then saute and season your vegetables to your liking.  For me it was just salt and pepper.  (high quality sea salt of course.  Nothing that comes out of shaker...) Mix the two together.
Pour into your oiled baking dish,
and bake for 30-40 minutes on 375 depending on your oven.  (Mine does seem to be on the cool side. Experiment with temperatures and cooking times just keep an eye on it to get a golden brown doneness.  Enjoy!




No comments: