Pages

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Thank You to all who keep Buying these books - vegan, macrobiotic, vegetarian, flexitarian, gluten free recipe included

Someone in the UK just bought a cookbook from http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/susanmarque


 That reminded me how many folks buy my Candida Free cookbook each week.  Sometimes this makes me happy, and other times I am saddened by the sheer numbers of people out there suffering.  One thing with Candida overgrowth is once it has happened, yes you can clear it, but I personally would never stop taking my preferred probiotics to keep the healthy flora flourishing.  Each body is a little different but many people think - "terrific, cleared that up and now I don't ever have to think of it again..."  That unfortunately is a recipe for it to absolutely keep flaring up over and over.  The best way to make sure it goes away is to be aware and take care of your precious gut because it is the seat of your health in general. (if you would like to grab a session for some support go here http://www.everydaymacro.com/everydaymacro.com/Book_Your_Session.html)

That said - another of my favorite books - The Breakfast Cookbook came out of my love of all those lovely breakfast breads, puddings, cakes, pancakes etc...  This Amaranth bread is a terrific traveler.  I've taken it on those 20 hour flights and been happy to have it for two or even three days (by the third day it isn't as fresh but when in airports - it still makes me happy....) Last year on the way to a camping trip, the person I was staying with turned off the oven in the middle of cooking.  (He was wasted or something and somehow forgot I was making yummy bread...) I turned on the oven again and got it baked.  It was odd, but still okay, and I took it on the trip anyway, where if I hadn't, my choices were pretty scarce.  Re-toasted even over a fire works too.


  -->

Amaranth Studded Pan Bread

This soda bread is almost like a giant muffin in the way it is made.  Slice wedges and slather your favorite butter (carrot, onion, earth balance...) and your family or friends will be very satisfied.

1/2 Cup Amaranth, sorted
1 Cup water
small pinch of sea salt
1 1/2 Cups Spelt flour (gluten free folks - use your favorite combo)
1/2 Cup chestnut flour (not necessary to use chestnut but delicious)
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2  tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 Tablespoon rice syrup
3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
6 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 Cup rice or soy milk.

1. Bring the water and  pinch of salt to a boil and add the amaranth. 
2. Simmer for 20 minutes covered over a low flame.
3. Preheat your oven to 350°
4. Oil a 9” pie plate.
5.  Mix the dry ingredients in one bowl.
6. Mix the wet ingredients in another bowl.
7. Add the cooked amaranth to the wet ingredients.
8. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until mixed but not overmixed.
9. Bake for about 45 minutes until the bread is lightly brown, the top will crack a bit and you will be able to stick a knife in it and have it come out clean.

Variations:  Use what ever flours you choose.  Add herbs or nuts/seeds.  Make it your own.

No comments: