Pages

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Gremolata for Everyday - Fast and Easy Recipes (gluten free, macrobiotic,flexitarian,vegetarian, vegan, pretty much anyone)



 You might be familiar with a gremolata (or gremolada) as a condiment on red meat.  It's actually a great way to add beauty and flavor to all sorts of meals, even ones without heavy protein.

Last night I bought a lovely wild caught Wahoo steak from Whole Foods.  Salmon or other fish would work equally as well.  I water fried chopped collard greens and fennel in a pan.  Removed the veggies, and then poached the fish in the same pan.
Meanwhile I made a gremolata to sprinkle on top of the hot fish.  It's simple to do, usually with parsley but I decided I wanted mint along with lime zest (usually lemon) and garlic.  Small amounts chopped fine and then sprinkled over.  You could always put gremolota on your meat and then grill it too.

So then there was about a Tablespoon left over that I used on a lovely salad today.  It was delicious with greens, carrots, avocado, pinto beans, raw fennel and an ume/olive oil dressing.
If you don't have a zester, don't worry.  You're gremolota is just as fast and easy using a sharp knife.
Peel a thin layer of the rind and lay flat on your cutting board.  Then slice fine strips in one direction then slice the opposite direction and do a general mincing.  Some people prefer a course chop, but I think a fine mince of all three ingredients is nice.  Let me know where your next gremolota goes... (I've even heard one brave soul put it on ice cream!)

www.everydaymacro.com



No comments: