Pages

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Healthy Candy? Yes...

Have you tried the Chocolate Candy Crunch in my collection of recipes with stories and tips?  Maybe you have enjoyed the Halloween Betwixt Bars I have put in past newsletters and in that same collection?

I used to also love the vanilla taffy made with rice syrup you can buy at many health food stores and the Honey mints that could rival Junior mints.  What about crunch?  One year I made a lovely Pumpkin mousse to bring to an October gathering.  It's different than pie and instead of cookies to go with it, I made a pumpkin seed brittle.  You can use nuts, seed or combinations. I used barley malt but rice syrup is good or a combination of the two.

1 Cup Syrup (barley malt/rice or your pick.)
1/2 teaspoon light vegetable oil
pinch of sea salt

1/2 Cup toasted nuts/seeds

Place the syrup, oil and sea salt in a saucepan.
Bring to a boil and then turn the heat down a tad placing a candy thermometer into the mixture.  Get the temperature up to the hard crack line (300 F.)  Turn off the heat, mix in your nuts/seeds and then pour onto a lightly oiled baking sheet and let cool in the fridge.  Voila - your own brittle. 

No comments: