Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Flourless Pancakes - gluten free, macrobiotic, vegan, vegetarian

While we're on the yellow split pea topic, I thought I'd share these easy to do pancakes I've been enjoying the last few days.  One cup of beans is a lot of meals for me.  I should have halved the recipe but originally I wasn't sure what I was doing with my little yellow dried peas.  I soaked a cup of them envisioning bean burgers.  After two days of soaking (yes I did put them in the fridge after the first eight hours.) and I still hadn't cooked them, I thought they would probably turn to mush once I did.  Not a bad thing, I just decided to blend the beans instead and make batter.  I've been putting them into a lovely salad but you could make a sandwich or wrap, layer them with a spread or pour a sauce over 'em.  Great Sunday brunch dish and the leftovers are pretty good too.


Yellow Bean Pancakes

These cute little cakes lend themselves to any meal and go great with sauces.  I like them plain but feel free to add herbs and spices that you like.

1 Cup yellow split peas, soaked overnight
1 large or 2 small shallots
pinch of sea salt
1/4 – 1/2 Cup good water

Drain the peas and place all the ingredients into a blender or food processor.   You will have a thick creamy batter.  Allow to sit on the counter for 30 minutes or more.   Fry up as you would other pancakes.

Add any herbs or spices you might enjoy.
 

No comments: