Pages

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Pickle Quick

A little bit of dill cucumber pickle was all I'd ever known of the world of pickles.  A slice or two brightened up a hamburger or a dab of pickle relish for a hot dog; other than that, pickles were just not in my meals.  Then I learned about their digestible benefits and various ways they could be prepared.

Slice some daikon radish into pieces that look like slender french fries and rub sea salt all over them.  Let them sit on the counter for a few hours, rinse and enjoy.  The salt took the bite right out of the radish and made a vegetable I wasn't too fond of into something I couldn't stop eating.  Refreshing, crisp and mildly sweet, I found that shredding some cabbage and doing this trick was also fun.

A 14 year old client was delighted one day when she decided to shred a carrot, sprinkle a little ume vinegar on it and after an hour she had something she wanted in sandwiches, on a cracker with peanut butter and rolled up in sushi. 

A Persian student said in her family there is always a pickle jar on the table.  Onion pickles for breakfast sounded so foreign to my American ear but after all of my experiments, I could understand it.  Pickles make for a great addition that once you try 'em, you might not ever want to be without them.

Try a simple fennel salad that uses the quick pickle method and takes it one step further:

Slice Fennel thin and sprinkle a small amount of sea salt and mix in.  Drizzle with olive oil and then squeeze in the juice of a lemon or lime.  Allow to sit for at least an hour.

www.susanmarque.com

No comments: