Pages

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Agar For All

I have some agar wasting away in the back of my cupboard and was just thinking I ought to use it.  I like it mostly in desserts because it gels well.  I know it is good for soothing the digestive tract and since I was just writing about digestion, I looked it up.  I completely forgot how Agar bonds to toxic pollution in the body and takes it out.  Seriously with all of the chemicals we inhale daily not to mention radiation - maybe we all ought to start including agar regularly. 

If that wasn't enough reason to enjoy more fruit mousse and other treats.  Agar is full of iodine, phosphorus, calcium, iron and even vitamins A, B, C, D and K. 


Strawberry Mousse

2 Tablespoons agar-agar
2 Cups apple juice
1 Tablespoon Kudzu dissolved in a little cold water (optional)
Pinch sea salt
1 Tablespoons tahini
1 pint chopped strawberries
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 Tablespoon rice syrup
A few strawberry slices/ mint leaves for garnish

Place the juice, salt and water in a pan.  Add the agar-agar.  Cook on med/low until the agar-agar dissolves.  Add the strawberries and vanilla and mix gently.

Pour into a serving dish and leave to set in a cool place.

Place the firm kanten and tahini and rice syrup in a blender and blend to a smooth cream.   Pour into individual glasses and garnish.  Serve cool or chilled.  Also terrific using fresh apricots instead of strawberries.

No comments: