Pages

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Seasonal Drink Experiment with Pumpkin and Chocolate

Here is a recipe that is just an idea.  I have not actually make it yet or tried it out.   It was an idea I saw made with ingredients I do not use and I wondered what it might be like if I switched it up a bit and gave it a name.   It could be nice with alcohol added, like rum or whiskey.  A cross between hot cocoa and some sort of toddy.  Hot toddy's were supposed to ward off colds.  My mother believes that. 

My mother who is the daughter of a doctor and believes she knows as much as someone who did their time in Medical school, internships and residency.  She believes she knows what doctors know and she believes in the powers of a hot toddy or the good feelings that come from warm drinkable chocolate.  I'm sure she read these things in women's magazines. 

I do believe in the power of experimentation.  I like to experiment.  My experiments in New York are more limited due to space, the cost here and the flow of people to taste test with.  While I get to see people far more often, it is not in my kitchen.  A space that is smaller than a broom closet where I am situated just now in the east village.   In California I had wonderful neighbors willing to taste test just about anything. 

I remember coming back from a class I taught at Air New Zealand's West Coast headquarters.  I had made several dozen crispy shortbread cookies decorated with chocolate.  The class was not as huge as I anticipated and I came home with many cookies.  I knocked on Rob's door in the first apartment.  He gladly took a few but didn't want more than that.  I knocked on SJ's door and she took more and then Robin took the few that were left.  They always gave me their honest opinions.  A little more ginger for my pumpkin pie or get that strawberry flavor stronger for a sauce.  I saw them daily and I lived a different life.

So I doubt I'll be creating a big batch of drinkables to try out as I prefer cookies and pie myself as treats.  I just leave this idea here as a springboard for anyone who wants to play with a fun Holiday type of drink.  I'm sure you could try it hot or cold like a shake.  Let me know what you come up with and give it your own name.

Hot Pumpkacolate

2-4 Cups soymilk
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
2 tablespoons canned pumpkin
2 -3 tablespoons Agave
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 T cocoa powder

No comments: