Pages

Monday, October 24, 2011

When Wrong Is Just Right

When there is smoke coming out of the pan and an unpleasant burn smell starts filling the air, you can tell the contents of what has been cooking is going in the garbage.  Nobody strives for that.  Sometimes I do want the overcooked crusty bottom grain though that happens before getting to black. 

I soaked millet for my lunch this morning.  1/3C millet in a pan with about 1 1/2 Cups water.  At a quarter to noon I brought it up to a boil and added a small pinch of sea salt, replaced the lid, turning the heat to as low as it goes and set a timer for twenty minutes.  When the timer went off I was making a salad and I had the thought I wanted the grain to cook just a few minutes longer to get it that nice moist sticky but not mushy consistency I like.  Halfway into eating my salad I thought I turned the heat off under that pot didn't I?  I looked up across the room.  Not seeing any blue flame I thought sure I did.  Nope.  When I got up I saw the tiny blue ring still working away.  I took the pot off the stove and let it sit for about 5 minutes.  I thought I would just eat what I could from it.  It turned out to be my all time favorite grain.  Sticky, soft, melt in your mouth millet with a nice thick brown crust I scraped from the pan.  Flax oil added the perfect buttery addition. 

Sometimes doing the wrong thing is just right.

No comments: