Pages

Thursday, September 29, 2011

A Rainy Afternoon

It's 4 o'clock on the afternoon and I'm happily crunching on sweet Chinese dates called jujubes.  It's their season.  They are only around for a few weeks and now seems to be the peek.  At least these are the best ones I've found all month as I've been scouring Chinatown to find them.  When I lived in Santa Monica I didn't have to go to Chinatown, I could buy as many organic brown little gems as I could carry from the Wednesday outdoor market.  The farmers and I always ate too many and joked how we didn't care even if we got a bellyache from going overboard.  There is something addictive about them, more than any other fruit I've ever eaten.  Funny though, I don't like them dried. 

It's been a slower day.  New York seems shut down for Rosh Hashana and I'm enjoying the quiet and currently the sounds from a thundershower.  I've got potato's and leeks simmering for 12 minutes in just a small amount of water and a pinch of sea salt.  When they are done and cool, I'll add thinly sliced fennel, lemon juice and olive oil and leave it in the fridge until dinner.  It's my side for a honey mustard chicken I'll prepare later.  I'll do something with the arugula waiting for me too.  I better stop eating Jujube's.

No comments: