Pages

Thursday, April 7, 2011

From The Archives



Every now and again I pull out the old newsletters I wrote for years and reprint bits of them here. Today's selection is from April 2007. Obviously it's dated - I'm in New York now and I didn't update the writing - I left it as it was but I thought you might enjoy looking at these sections I used to send out each month...


Tip of the Month – Spring Freedom

Ahhhh, freedom. It feels Divine. It looks good on you too. You can’t help but look fantastic when the worries fall away, your body is light, healthy and filled with scrumptious, tingly, energy. Freedom feels great. Restrictions, confinement or entrapment do not. How do you want to look and feel right now? How would you like your life to be? Where do you currently complain, even if it is only in your own mind? You can have freedom, if you are willing, in every area of your life. Sometimes the willingness feels like a great big leap. We make up excuses to stay where we are because it is just easier!

I learned the excuses of “not enough money”, “no time”, “I’m not good enough”, etc. I learned them so well, it’s a wonder I’ve ever left my apartment. It takes a lot of courage to change. It takes courage to step into new situations, places and things. It takes courage to be happy and free, but it is so worth the effort to get there. Getting support makes it easier, having a guide is essential. It’s hard to get to a new place without a map of some sort. I love maps. I’m entirely grateful that the pilot of the plane I’m riding on has one. Without a map, it could take a whole lot longer to get where I’m going.


In Los Angeles we have a thick book of maps called the Thomas Guide that are now being replaced with GPS systems. A computerized driving coach that helps you get from

point A to B. I’ve had some pretty fantastic and very much alive, guides in my life. I am very happy to be able to be a guide for many. Now it’s time for you to pick your destination. How much freedom would you like right now in your life? Where would you like to be in let’s say 3 months? How about 3 weeks from now, what would you like to be different than it is today? Grab a good guide, set up your map, and begin your journey to a life you love living. Join me in the delicious process of being free this spring and this summer we will soar over many seas!

Recipes

Free For All Chopped Salad

I just mixed together the leftover bits of vegetables in this colorful chopped salad. Feel free to create you own.

Equal amounts of:

Carrot

Zucchini

Broccoli

A little less of Red onion

and some fresh dill

A few leaves of Chinese cabbage

Simply chop all the vegetables rather small. Place about 1/4 -1/2 inch of water in a pan. Bring to a boil and add all the ingredients. Simmer until the water has all evaporated.

Add your favorite dressing and some avocado if you like.


Sweet Brussels Sprout Salad

This salad is good hot or cold. I love it next to a sandwich for lunch.

10-12 large Brussels sprouts, trimmed and sliced in half

1 small white onion, chopped

2-3 small carrots, chopped

2-3 T. flat leaf parsley, chopped

Rice Bran oil

Rice vinegar

Mirin

Sea salt

Place a small amount of oil in the bottom of a pot. Sauté the onions for several minutes and then add the carrots. Sprinkle in a pinch of sea salt and stir. Add about 1/2” of good quality water to the pot and the Brussels sprouts. Sprinkle in a little rice vinegar and a few splashes of mirin. Place a lid on the pot and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down and allow to simmer for 10 minutes or until the Brussels sprouts are tender. Simmer the rest of the liquid away with no lid by turning the heat up some if you wish. Stir in the parsley and serve.


Story Time (names are changed, stories are true)

Jackie wanted some freedom in her life, her health, her body, and she wanted it all right now. She was very clear with me. She didn’t want to spend much money, she didn’t want to cook and above all, she didn’t want anything to take too much time. I smiled. Her list was going to keep her stuck if she didn’t get free first from her own thinking.

I asked her how important it was for her to have her body be the way she wanted it to be, how important is was for her to create stronger health and how important was it for her to have her life start being as she wanted it to be as soon as she could have it. She explained that each was supremely important to her. So then I asked her what she might be willing to do to have those things. Would she be willing to spend a little more money, since she wouldn’t be spending it later on for doctors and medications even over the counter items? She would be able to have soaring energy and focus that would help her achieve her financial goals and she would also start looking great in the process, but she also needed to be willing to invest her time and effort. Even a small amount of cooking just might make it all happen that much easier and faster but she had to be willing.

She looked scared and then as she thought about what I had just said, she got a big smile on her face and said, “You know what?, I think I really am willing. I wasn’t before. I was sure you were
just going to give me another diet that wouldn’t work, but now I can see that you are different.” From that moment on, Jackie got committed to her own life and used our coaching sessions to keep her on course. She learned to cook enough of her food herself that she now feels empowered in her kitchen and knows that even if she chooses to eat out many meals, she could always go home and make something satisfying too. She has more choices. Her weight shifted right from the start since she lifted off her stuck mindset. Jackie is happy and thriving now and feels so proud that she created this freedom.


Fun Food Facts – Radical Freedom

Antioxidants help combat free radicals and even slow down the aging process. According to the USDA in 2004, here are the top 11. Toss a few berries in your morning cereal or beans in a salad to get a little extra boost. Eating a whole food based diet you will definitely be getting plenty of what you need.

1. Small Red Beans

2. Wild Blueberry

3.Red kidney bean

4.pinto bean

5. Blueberry (cultivated)

6. Cranberry

7. Artichoke (cooked)

8. Blackberry

9. Prune

10. Raspberry

11. Strawberry

No comments: