Pages

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Breakfast Ready - so much to choose from

Breakfast is one of those meals that baffles many people. I am often asked what to eat for that first meal of the day. I put together a book of breakfast recipes (http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/fast-and-easy-healthy-breakfasts/2312210) and could easily do another one. It's probably my favorite meal of all. I adore pancakes, waffles, scrambles and cereals. I love fruit toppings and crunchy seed sprinkles. Tofu lends itself quite nicely to french toast or a benedict if you want to keep things sans oeufs.

I am not someone who eats just fruit in the morning or has miso soup with cereal. Both of those widespread practices leave me eating more for the rest of the day. Most mornings I enjoy a warm bowl of creamy quinoa with apples and cinnamon or millet with compote and a sunflower crunch or silky rice cream or teff. Shakes, smoothies, or the milks made of grains, soy or nuts are something I only use for special occasions as they are going to bring on the mucous and fatigue, and that is not something I need in my day.

Everyone is different, there are different body types and different needs. Get to know yours by learning how individual foods work differently with longer leaner people (more yin) vs. stockier, stouter types (more yang) and how you can start eating to create just the body you would like to have looking back at you in the mirror.

Pancakes Like You Remember!

The Ume Vinegar adds just a touch of sourness to simulate buttermilk and aid in the lightness. Any Flour may be substituted, but Pastry Flour will give you the lightest pancakes. Enjoy!

1 C. Vanilla Soy or Rice Milk

1 tsp. Ume Vinegar

1 Tbs. Oil

1 C. Whole Wheat Pastry Flour

1/4 tsp. Sea Salt

2 tsp. Baking Powder

Heat the Oil in a small sauce pan. Transfer to a heatproof bowl and quickly whisk in the soy milk. Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. Stir in the wet ingredients and mix until Batter is just moistened and still a bit lumpy. Cook like standard pancakes using Oil on your skillet or grill

No comments: