Pages

Monday, August 9, 2010

Summer Cool Quinoa Salad

I was upstairs in the Fairway market near where I am staying. The upper floor of this market is a health food market all its own with only organic produce. I was looking for an avocado that wasn't missing it's little stem from being picked way too early. Beverly was in her wheelchair nearby and I was worried I might be standing in her way in the narrow isle. She said no, she was staring at the sweet potatoes below looking for good ones. They're not quite in season I told her. She reminded me they come from a tropical region and can be eaten year round. I was really more referring to the fact they didn't look so good and had probably been stored since last Fall. In fact I had gotten a yellow type of yam at another market just days before and I gave her the recipe. She liked it and asked why I didn't put bell peppers in it or garlic. I answered only that I didn't have any garlic when I made it and I don't care for bell peppers. I'm sure her version will have both. Enjoy warm or cold!!!!

1 Cup Quinoa, rinsed
2 Cups Water
1 yellow (or any) sweet potato peeled and chopped
1/2 yellow onion
1/4 Cup parsley, chopped
1-2 celery, chopped (remember to slightly peel so no strings...)
pinch of sea salt
Your favorite dressing or Flax oil

Bring the water and salt to a boil and add the quinoa, onion and sweet potato. Turn the heat to low and simmer with a lid on for 20 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and allow to cool.

www.SusanMarque.com

No comments: