Pages

Monday, October 26, 2009

Plan A

It's 90 degrees F. but it feels like 100 and dry. It's days like today when you know Los Angeles is a dessert. I biked to the post office and then walked down to the ocean where even there it was calm and scorching. The waves lapped up offering only a little relief from the heat. I didn't stay long. I might like to come back tomorrow in a bathing suit with an umbrella to sit under and have a picnic but I have meetings all day and doubt it will happen until a weekend.

There are only a few of those left here by the Pacific Ocean and I intend to make more of the time than I have all of these years. As I dropped the last of my application materials in the post office this morning I felt that tingle of excitement that comes when you know your life is about to change in a big way. I don't have a plan B so plan A better work out well.

It was comical to see the men building the outdoor ice skating rink that has now become a yearly event near the 3rd street promenade in Santa Monica. They are early this year. Perhaps they forgot how it can be blazing just around Holloween, when the rest of the country is preparing for snow. We make snow here and it must be more lucrative to keep the ice cold and let people skate than to wait for cooler temperatures to happen naturally. It does start making everyone think of Holiday time and it's a cheery artifice.

I go home and make a shredded cabbage, apple, carrot, seitan salad that is cooling and satisfying with cold barley tea to sip. I contemplate my options and I only see plan A. I'll be moving soon.

No comments: