Pages

Monday, October 19, 2009


Over the weekend I pulled out a small book from my shelf that was one of my first introductions to whole foods cuisine. I saw some recipes for jinenjo, the Japanese mountain potato that I recently discovered was also grown by Native Americans. Jinenjo is an odd veggie that not only provides a nice hit of energy, it has a list of health benefits that is long. Everything from helping stomach ulcers and digestive problems to alleviating pain and was even an original source of diosgenin that is now synthetically made for birth control pills.

I love its sweet mild flavor and odd sea foam consistency when grated. You can use it raw as a condiment mixed with soy sauce and ginger or cook it into as many potato sorts of recipes as you like. I hopped on my bike and went to the Japanese market to buy some.

Once home, I grated it, added chopped green onion and fried it up to be solid and crispy on the outside. Yum!

In folk wisdom, the jinenjo is used to increase sexual vitality in men. Experiment and see what you think!

No comments: