Pages

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Home made graham crackers


I was looking at the graham crackers today but I didn't end up buying any. Later that evening I decided I would like a cracker so I made some. I just happen to have some graham flour in my fridge just for such an occasion. I tried an all graham dough that has a slight wheaty taste to it. While not as sweet as a cookie and not as plain as a cracker I would feel very good about giving these to kids with such simple ingredients in them.
  • 4 T Earth Balance
  • 1 egg
  • 4 T Agave
  • 4 T Brown Rice Syrup (or any combination of sweeteners you like.)
  • 1/2 t baking soda
  • 1 1/2 C graham flour
  • 3/4 C unbleached pastry flour (or use all graham flour or your own combination.)
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
  2. Combine the Earth Balance and sweeteners in a bowl and beat until smooth and creamy.
  3. Add the egg and blend.
  4. Add baking soda into the butter mixture.
  5. In another bowl mix the flours and then add the wet ingredients to the dry. Mix into cookie dough. If it is too wet add a tad more flour.
  6. If you can roll right on your cookie sheet just line with parchment and roll out 1/2 the dough on each sheet. If not you will need to roll on a floured surface and then cut out your cookies.
  7. With a knife, score the dough, without cutting through, into squares or use cookie cutters.
  8. Prick each square a few times with the tines of a fork.
  9. Bake for about 15 minutes until edges get brown.
  10. Remove from the oven and cool on racks. (They will crisp up as they cool.)

No comments: