Pages

Monday, July 20, 2009

Savvy Travel - Part II

Phrew am I glad for some refreshing Barley Tea right about now - That's the fun food fact of the day: Barley Tea can cool you down. Roasted grains for tea seem to be an Asian thing that we westerners can start adopting. I buy the stuff already roasted (http://www.simply-natural.biz/Mugicha-Tea-loose.php) and ready to steep, making as big a batch as my pan will allow. Cool and put in the fridge for handy sipping as long as it lasts. If you make it the night before, it is perfectly cool for the next day.

However we can't take liquids from home on planes anymore, so make sure you bring appropriate foods with you for your flights. In flight is a great time to be vegan for the day. Taking animal foods on trips can be asking for spoilage trouble but vegan type foods can last and last and most do very well without any refrigeration. I love taking quickly made sushi rolls. (stay tuned to the videos at www.SusanMarque.com for the simple how to...) I fill 'em with different veggie fillings. usually raw stuff in the hotter weather like a little ume paste, carrot, cucumber and maybe some tofu filling or even my pumpkin seed pesto. When I don't have time to cook or I'm coming on home, I like to pick up a sandwhich or wrap to take with me. I've also found noodles to be getting prevelent in airports. Both Italian or Asian noodle dishes pack up well or give me fuel right there in the airport. Thank goodness for all of the gladware type to go containers, for taking just about any solid food dish you might want to toss in your carry-on. I suggest packing an extra plastic bag or two in your luggage so when you do purchase food to carry on, slip it in an extra wrap just to be sure of no spillage.

No comments: