Pages

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Heart Healthy Waffles

I'm very full. I just enjoyed a fun, quick, Saturday morning waffle breakfast. I thought I might want a muffin. I took the package of wild organic frozen blueberries I had in my freezer from Trader Joes and put it in the fridge last night to defrost. I thought of making the muffins, perhaps giving some to my neighbors or freezing the leftovers that would be made. Waffles though kept coming to mind. Waffles sounded more like what I really wanted. Not a cake texture that muffins are. I wanted a crisp on the outside, soft and light on the inside, waffle. I lacked the right ingredients for traditional waffles but luckily I had come up with a flax seed batter years ago. I had been dating a man who was extremely encouraging of my experiments. He had a bad case of Candida along with other ailments so he was limited in what he felt safe eating. These waffles were a welcome treat for him. They were today for me. So simple to make, and exactly fit my mood. I put some blueberries in half but I still like plain the best. See what you think and let me know....
Heart Healthy Waffles
Without the eggs or baking powder traditionally used in waffles, these are simply good for everybody. Use what ever flour or combination that you like. We used brown Teff flour and Oat flour for a very hearty and almost chocolate like flavor. Spelt flour creates a lighter more traditional waffle. Add cinnamon, fruits, nuts or any of your other favourite waffle additions.

2 Cups flour
2 Cups Vanilla soy or rice milk
3+ Tablespoons flax seeds (we used the golden flax seeds)
1/4 Cup safflower oil
1/4 tsp. Sea Salt
Optional add 2 T. brown rice syrup and 2tsp. vanilla extract

Combine the milk, flax seeds and oil in a blender. Mix the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add the flax and milk mixture to the flour and stir with a whisk. The batter will be thick. Pour some of the batter onto the waffle iron and cook for about five minutes. (The steam usually lets up when waffles are ready.)

Buy my breakfast cookbook now and get a free ebook of your choice until the end of December. www.SusanMarque.com

No comments: