Pages

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Last of the Jujubes

I was eating jujubes to my hearts content this morning. The fruit, not the candy that comes in a box. Jujubes are a Chinese date. They are good for the liver amongst other things, and I just love them fresh, crunchy and sweet. They are a mild sweetness with a touch of sour too. But it is the end of their short season and many are not so crunchy but still good. There is just something about jujubes at the start of the six weeks that they are around for, I just can not get enough. Picking them out one by one at the farmers market from a bin. Everyone I've stood near, while we select our fruit, talks of how addictive they can be. Today it was an older Chinese woman with a cute tinge of an accent. She seemed to know jujubes like a cousin that comes to visit year after year. We don't buy the dried ones that are always available at this particular stand. We look forward to September or October when the first batch of little brown oval jujubes appear. Thinking of recipes I could use them in, she too said, those ideas never get realized. The fruits barley ever seeing the cool dark cavern of the refrigerator because they get eaten so quickly. It's very hard not to eat them right there while picking out the ones for our individual bags. She agreed, and laughing in the common theme of jujube eaters. When the end of their visit is here though, I've usually eaten plenty. I feel satiated instead of sad seeing them go. I do not miss them when they are gone because there are so many other fruits to move on to here. Next I'll be sampling sapotes or ripening persimmons to freeze and eat like ice cream treats. I also have apples, oranges, strawberries, oh California bursts with beautiful fruits all year long. When I finally leave this little Santa Monica oasis I may need to fly back once a year and pick up some jujubes or relish the memory of today, where I am enjoying the delicate taste and crunch. I'm sure where ever I will go there will some local fun odd fruits to discover. I'm ever amazed at what grows....

No comments: