Pages

Friday, August 15, 2008

What are those things that you think that you can not live without? I'm pretty happy for some things we have in our modern life, like toilet paper or my contact lenses.

With food, our bodies are adaptable beyond what our minds might conceive. We really can live without many of the foods we are attached to and some would improve the quality of our life to live without them, even though it's hard to see that when we are addicted.

I once didn't eat anything sweet for an entire year. Not even fruit. I was clearing Candida overgrowth and I was determined to finally be free of it. I love sweets and now that I eat them again, I still think they are enchanting, but they do not hold the same power over me they once did. I realize they are pleasurable, just not really any more than broccoli cooked nicely (and preferably in my favorite elegant sweet and salty creamy sauce...) or that bowl of millet hot cereal that is waiting for me to have for my breakfast when I'm finished writing this. It's just wired up differently in my mind because from the time I was very small, I was taught that the dessert was the part of the meal we were waiting for. That going to get an ice cream cone was special. Candies and cookies were wonderful gifts that came in fancy boxes and homemade ones were the best. After a year of not one bit of anything I used to consider a treat, other foods took on a new delight all their own. Cooling, detoxifying turnips became new friends. The nuances in greens became more charming than just eating them for the minerals I would absorb. I learned to love what I had instead of hurrying up to get to the "good" part.

It has been interesting to me to see that as I let go of the need for any particular food, the more possibilities I see instead. A paradox of the limiting diet was that I now feel much more free in that I know it's all temporary. Enjoying what I have has made me feel less desire for more more more. That endless struggle to attain and feel satiated. It goes beyond food as the addictive patterns fall away. I still enjoy shopping but I am also happy with what I do have and grateful to have it. Before I was a lot more apt to find fault with the old and looking at how the new and improved would be so much better. Once you find that point of balance inside, it seems to shine out in all directions. Do you feel like you are more by having more or would you feel the same to own less? How does this play out on your plate?

Let me know at www.SusanMarque.com

No comments: